Total Pageviews

Monday, November 22, 2010

One of Our Own

Sgt. Frank Loreto started at the Sheriff's Office about two years after me. He was from New York, a true Italian, and I immediately liked him. I was working in dispatch back then (15 years ago now) and we formed a friendship. I vividly remember answering the phone and hearing his "Hey it's Loreto, how you doin?"

Frank worked his way to Sgt and was a damn good one. The Sheriff had just decided to appoint him as Accreditation Supervisor when Frank found out he had pancreatic cancer. That was maybe a year ago.

Being young and of the feeling that you will live forever, Frank had no life insurance other than the $50,000 or so we get as employees. He has three children. The oldest is a Freshman in high school, the youngest about eight.

We immediately started raising money for his family and have done a pretty good job at it. All the while, Frank fought a battle that everyone had heard was a death sentence once received.

He was in and out of the hospital, problem after problem arising when his body lost its strength. He had to retire his position.

I will never forget the last time I talked with Frank. Sgt. Groves from Warrants had called my phone. Even though I don't work in the IT section of the SO, I am considered a computer geek by everyone I know. They were having problems with a print job and asked for help. When I got to his office Frank and his wife Katie were there. The print job was his retirement letter. They had gotten it completed just as I arrived and Frank was bent over signing it. I had never met his wife and was at a loss for words at this unbelievably solemn moment. I told Katie he looked well and we chatted for a minute.

Frank looked up and caught my eye. He opened his arms and gave me a hug. He told me thanks and I muttered an indiscernable "take care" and walked back to my second story office with tears streaming down my cheeks. I wish I had told him how awesome I thought he was and how much I treasured our "midnight chats" back when we were young, crazy and full of laughs. I wish I had told him but I am pretty sure he knew. Some things just never have to be spoken.

Frank Loreto, Sergeant, Hernando County Sheriff's Office, passed away on November 21, 2010. He is survived by his wife, three children and approximately 300 other family members who will never forget him and the things he brought to our lives and to our agency.

God received another awesome Angel in you Frank. Tell Scotty B we all said "hey". I can only imagine what you two will be getting into up there. You left us too young but our loss is definitely God's gain.

Rest in Peace my friend. All will be well here.

No comments:

Post a Comment