Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Give and Take

I was single for a LONG time. When I say a long time, I am talking approximately eight years or so. After I got divorced I just didn't want someone interfering with my kids when they were so young. Plus, I think there was a part of me that was already interested in William ( I had met him while I was still married) and I think I was subconciously waiting on him. He was always kind of in the picture, giving me advice, lending a hand, being my friend. We have always been close. Everyone always assumed we were a couple long before we actually were. It's strange how that happened. We kind of just ended up together. No one was really surprised. Some couples are just meant to be. But, I digress.

I was on my own for a long time, therefore I am used to doing things my way. Having a man in the picture now is a HUGE adjustment for me. I am not used to having to compromise or give in to someone else's desires or needs. To tell you the truth I'm not very good at it. In the beginning I downright sucked at it. I wanted everything my way. I wasn't willing to bend. Bill was the same way. It made life quite difficult for a while. Eventually we realized if we were going to have a successful relationship we had to practice some give and take. I met him halfway on the things that were most important to him and he did the same for me. So far its working ( knock on wood here). We still have occassional flare-ups but overall things are running pretty smoothly.

Our biggest issue is the children. I baby my kids, he babies his son. Neither one of us is wiling to admit that however. We spoil the mess out of them and then accuse each other of doing so, acting like we don't do the same thing. But, overall it is working out okay. It's a constant work in progress.

I don't think I would like being on my own again now that I have William. He makes me a better person. I don't want to sound cheesy but he pretty much completes me. He keeps me grounded and focused and, most days anyway, out of trouble. We couldn't be more different from each other but for some reason it works. They weren't kidding when they said opposites attract.

Life is all about give and take. If you want things bad enough you have to learn how to do that. I am learning more and more every day. I am a better person for it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment